Frequently Asked Questions
WSECU Visa® Gift Card
- What is a Visa Gift Card?
- The Visa Gift card is a prepaid card - not a credit card. You determine how much money you want to put on the card at the time of purchase. You can buy a Visa Gift card for yourself or for someone else. Once you have purchased a Visa Gift card, the cardholder can use it to make purchases anywhere Visa Debit is accepted.
- How is my Visa Gift Card different from a store gift card or gift certificate?
- Unlike store gift cards or gift certificates, the Visa Gift card enables you to choose where you spend the money on your card. You are not limited to just one store. You can use it at any store or online retailer that accepts Visa Debit.
- How much money can I put on a Visa Gift card?
- For dollar limits on a Visa Gift card, see your Cardholder Agreement.
- How many cards can I purchase?
- There is no limit for the number of Visa Prepaid Cards you can purchase.
- Will my credit be checked to purchase a Visa Gift card?
- No, we will not check your credit when you purchase a Visa Gift card. Because the Visa Gift card is a prepaid card, the cardholder can only use as much money as you put on the card when you bought it. It does not give the cardholder a credit line.
- Is the Visa Prepaid Card connected to my credit or the credit of the person to whom I am giving the card?
- No. The Visa Prepaid Gift Card is not tied to anyone's personal credit in any way.
- Why do you need to know my personal information if I am purchasing the card for someone else?
- Your information protects your rights with the card if it is ever lost or stolen before the person to whom you are sending the Visa Prepaid Card receives it. When you provide personal information, such as your name, address, and phone number, it enables the gift card receiver to call a Customer Service Representative and validate their identity as the gift card receiver.
- If the Visa Prepaid Card is not connected to my personal credit profile, why do you need to know my Social Security Number?
- Visa uses key information when making a dispute for an unauthorized purchase. While your Social Security Number is not required, this information enables Visa to better protect your dispute rights if your card is ever lost or stolen.
- Can I add a message on a Visa Gift card?
- Yes, we have several personalized messages from which you can choose that can be embossed on the Visa Gift card. A list of available personalized messages will appear during the purchase process.
- Can I get a Visa Gift card at a branch location?
- No, we do not sell Visa Gift cards at our branches.
- How do I buy a Visa Gift card?
- To purchase a Visa Gift card click Buy A Card on the home page of this website.
- What payment method can I use to buy a Visa Gift card?
- You can use a Visa or MasterCard (credit or debit) issued from us. We do not accept Visa or MasterCard issued from other institutions.
- Will I be charged a fee for purchasing a Visa Gift card?
- Yes, there is a fee for purchasing a Visa Gift card. Purchase and delivery fees will appear during the purchase process.
- Can I cancel a Visa Gift card order online?
- You will have the opportunity to cancel your order before you finalize your purchase. Once you have submitted your order, you cannot cancel it. Please verify the information you have entered to ensure it is accurate before clicking the Submit button. If you have not clicked the Submit button, you can cancel your process by clicking the Home link.
- If I use my credit card to purchase a Visa Gift card, will I be charged a cash-advance fee?
- No, you will not be charged a cash-advance fee to purchase a Visa Gift Card.
- Your website timed out before I was able to complete my purchase. Will I still be charged?
- If you were able to submit your purchase, and you received a confirmation number, you will be charged for your purchase. If you were unable to click the "Submit" button and timed out of the system, you should not be charged for your purchase.
- How long will it take to receive a Visa Gift card?
- After placing your order, please allow up to 10 business days to receive your Visa Gift card for Standard Delivery. If you have requested Express Delivery, you will receive your Visa Gift card in 3-5 business days.
- Where will the Visa Gift card be sent?
- The Visa Gift card will be sent to you.
- Can I send a Visa Gift card to any address?
- Currently, you can send a Visa Gift card to United States addresses, including APO and FPO addresses. You cannot send a Visa Gift card to an international address.
- Why should I save my profile if I am buying a Visa Gift card?
- By saving your profile, you can purchase additional Visa Gift cards in the future without having to enter your account information again. In addition, you can sign into our website and view your purchase history.
- What should I do if the Visa Gift card never arrives?
- If you do not receive the Visa Gift Card you have purchased with in 14 business days, please call the Customer Service number 1.866.543.9161.
- My Visa Gift card doesn't have my name on it. Can I still use it?
- Yes, you can still use your Visa Gift card even though your name doesn't appear on the card. Make sure you sign the back of your Visa Gift card because a retailer will validate your identity by comparing your signature on the back of your Visa Gift card with the one on your receipt.
- If my Visa Gift card doesn't have my name on it, do I still sign my name on the receipt?
- Yes, even though your Visa Gift card has a greeting, like "Happy Holidays" instead of your name, you should still sign your name on the receipt when you make purchases. Make sure you sign the back of your card, so that retailers can validate your identity by comparing your signature on the receipt with the one on your Visa Gift card.
- Do I have to accept the Terms & Conditions?
- Using your Visa Gift card signifies that you accept the Terms & Conditions.
- How will I know the original amount of my Visa Gift card?
- The original value of your Visa Gift card may be embossed on your card or it may be printed on the card carrier. You can also check your balance by logging into this website or by calling the toll-free number on the back of your card.
- Why should I register my Visa Gift card?
- Registering your card has several benefits:
- It enables you to make purchases online. Most online retailers do not accept payments without a valid "billing" address. Your registered address will serve as the "billing" address that retailers require.
- It enables Customer Service Representatives to more quickly assist you when you need assistance.
- It protects you if your card is ever lost or stolen, so that you can be reimbursed for funds lost.
- Do I need an e-mail address to use my Visa Gift card?
- No, you are not required to have an e-mail address to make purchases with your Visa Gift card. However, your e-mail address is useful if you ever forget your username or password on the website because we can send it to you at the e-mail address we have on file.
- Can I make purchases for more than the amount remaining on my Visa Gift card?
- Your Visa Gift card is a prepaid card and can only be used up to the amount on the card. However, for purchases that are higher than your Visa Gift card balance, you can use your Visa Gift card along with another form of payment. If you attempt to make a purchase for more than the amount available on the card without another form of payment to pay the difference, the transaction will be declined.
- Can I use my Visa Gift card at more than one place?
- Yes, that's the advantage of a Visa Gift card! You can use your Visa Gift card at multiple retailers for as long as there is a balance remaining on the card.
- Can I use my Visa Gift card online?
- Yes, you can use your Visa Gift card to make purchases online. We suggest that you register your card before purchasing online. Some retailers will not process your purchase without a valid address registered to the card.
- Can I use my Visa Gift card at an ATM?
- No, your Visa Gift card can only be used for retail, online, and telephone purchases wherever Visa Debit is accepted.
- Can I use my Visa Gift card to get cash at a banking center?
- No, you cannot use your Visa Gift Card to get cash from a teller.
- Can I use my Visa Gift Card to get cash back at checkout?
- No, you cannot use your Visa Gift Card to get
cash back at checkout.
- Can I add more money onto my Visa Gift card?
- No, you cannot add more money to your Visa Gift card. However, you can purchase additional Visa Gift cards through the Buy a Card link or at our branch locations.
- How can I check the balance on my Visa Gift card?
- To check the balance of your Visa Gift card, sign into this website or call the toll-free number* on the back of your card.
- What should I do if my Visa Gift card is lost or stolen?
- If your card is lost or stolen, contact Customer Service immediately to report it. You can contact us by calling our toll-free Customer Service number displayed on the Contact Us page.
- How long can I use my Visa Gift card?
- Your Visa Gift card expiration date is embossed on the front of your card. You can use your card through the end of the month on year it expires.
- When will my Visa Gift card expire?
- The card will expire 7 years from the date purchased.
- What happens if I spend all of the money on my Visa Gift card?
- Once you have used up the funds on your Visa Gift card, your card account will be closed. You can keep it in case you need to return an item you have purchased using the card, which will reopen your card account if it has not passed the expiration date. You can keep it as a memento. You can also discard it once you have spent all of your money.
- What can I do if the remaining balance on my card is less than the processing fee to cash the card?
- If your card is not expired, we suggest that you try to use up the balance of the card at a merchant that will allow you to use two forms of payment for a single purchase. You can then ask the merchant to take the amount left on the Visa Gift card and pay the difference of the purchase total with your other form of payment. If your card is expired, and the amount of the processing fee to unload the card is higher than the balance remaining on the card, your card will be charged a monthly maintenance fee until the balance is zero.
- Can I change my address and telephone number after I have received my Visa Gift card?
- Yes, the recipient can change their address or telephone number using this website or by calling a Customer Service Representative.
- Can I buy a new Visa Gift card with my current Visa Gift card?
- Yes, you can purchase a new Visa Gift card using your current Visa Gift card. There may be a charge for this purchase. Any purchase and/or delivery fees will appear during the purchase process.
- Why am I being charged a maintenance fee when I have never been charged this fee before?
- A monthly maintenance fee is waived for an introductory amount of time. If you still have a balance remaining on the card after this introductory period, your card will be charged a monthly maintenance fee for as long as there is a balance remaining on the card.
- What is the difference between a "pending transaction" and a "posted transaction"?
- Pending transactions are authorized transactions with a hold on your balance for the purchase amount until the transaction clears your account. Posted transactions are purchases that have cleared on your card and funds have been removed to pay the merchant. There are some pending transactions that are more or less than the amount you have actually spent. This is because some retailers place a pre-authorization amount on your card to ensure the account is active and that you have enough money to cover the purchase. In some cases, such as restaurants, you are charged a percentage higher (typically 15%) than the amount of the transaction in case you pay a tip on your card. Once the transaction posts to your account, the pending transaction will be removed within a few business days, and you can use the funds again.
- Why is my Actual Balance different than my Available Balance?
- Typically, your Available Balance is less than your Actual Balance because your Available Balance reflects purchases you have made that have been authorized, but have not yet cleared your account. Your Actual Balance reflects all purchases that have cleared on your account.
- How do I activate my Visa Gift card?
- You can activate your Visa Gift card one of two ways:
- Call the toll-free number printed on the activation sticker of your Visa Gift card. There is no charge for using the voice response system. A fee applies if you speak with a Call Center representative.
- Sign into our website using your Visa Gift card number and click Activate Card.
- Can I request a PIN (Personal Identification Number)?
- Yes – you can request one at the time you activate your card when using the toll-free number. There is no charge for using the voice response system. If you activate your card on the website, you will need to call 866.543.9161 to request a PIN.
*A $3.00 fee will apply.